[Nek5000-users] Representing Curved Side in any plane

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Sat Mar 27 17:34:51 CDT 2010

Hello Users,

My question is in regard to the curved side data section in the REA file.  I know that the first 3 terms describe the side, element, and radius, but there are several other numbers that are currently zero, and then the letter C.

Background for the question: I have a situation where I would like to curve an element edge in any plane. I know this is possible from previous posts regarding a sphere.rea.

I know that with two points and a radius, that is enough to describe a circle in a plane.  But lets say I have a side where 2 pts lie on the XY plane, but the center of the circle is located on the YZ plane for example... the question is how to represent this in the REA. In the REA you just give the element side ( 2 pts ) and the radius, which does fix the circle center but the plane that contains the center is not fixed.  So what I am wondering is what the other numbers in this section do...if you could say, give the center instead of the radius, or give a third point with the other 2 pts in the element side to fully define the circle and plane.

Also, Is it possible to curve the remaining 4 sides of the element (edges 9, 10, 11, 12 that would be in the "z" direction) in the same manner as edges 1-8? Thanks for any input on this matter!

Regards,

Michael Meador