[Nek5000-users] Compute the derivatives

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Tue Jun 8 07:43:37 CDT 2010

Are you viewing derivatives computed w/ nek, and then dumped
and visualized by VisIt?  Or are these derivatives computed
inside one of the vis packages? (don't know if that's even
possible...)

If you are well-resolved, derivatives will appear continuous.
If you are marginally resolved, they may or may not appear
continuous, since the underlying basis is only C0.

One option is, say,

       call gradm1(tx,ty,tz,t)
       call dsavg(tx)
       call dsavg(ty)
       call dsavg(tz)

which would project appropriately declared arrays tx,ty,tz
into C0 --- it does not always make things look better, but
often does.  Also, it will make visit happy since Visit expects
to visualize C0 fields.

hth

Paul