[Nek5000-users] LES and heat transfer in channel

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Tue Feb 9 05:28:23 CST 2010

Hi Markus,

it's hard if something is wrong with your setup or if you're running into other issues.

I would start with a simple DNS of turbulent heat transfer in a channel e.g. similar to Hawamura et. al Journal of Head and Fluid Flow, 1998.

Let's say you do the following simulation:
Re_tau = 180
Pr = 0.71
Domain: (12.8/2/6.4) where you're reference length is the channel half-height
Resolution: 24x12x24 elements using N=9 (this should be pretty well resolved)
Thermal BC: uniform heat-flux heating

- How do the Nek results compare to the results of Hawamura?

I think that's a good way of testing your setup and after doing this exercise you're sure that everything works correct (assuming you get the right answers).
Then the next step is to use a much coarser resolution together with a SGS-model (e.g. the simple filtering and/or dynamic Smagorinski).

- How do the LES results compare to the DNS results?

I would be not too surprised if you cannot get good results in your LES. It's well known that turbulent passive scalar mixing behaves quite different and a flow SGS model will not do a very good job in this case.

Cheers,
Stefan