[Nek5000-users] LES and heat transfer in channel

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Mon Feb 8 22:42:38 CST 2010

Hi Markus,

How do you subtract off the excess heat ?

The std way would be something like:

       subroutine userq  (ix,iy,iz,eg)
       include 'SIZE'
       include 'TOTAL'
       include 'NEKUSE'
       integer e,eg

       common /fluxa/  flux_area,gamma_t

       e  = gllel(eg)
       qvol = -vx(ix,iy,iz,e)*gamma_t

       return
       end

Where gamma_t is chosen to balance your net influx through q"
at the surface.  Here, what one is effectively doing is (correctly)
postulating:

     T(X,t) = @(X,t) + gamma * x

where gamma is a constant and theta is periodic:  @(X,t) == @(X+L,t)

Then, nek solves for the periodic function @.   I guess w/ your
recycle bcs you're doing the same thing -- in which case you wouldn't
need the qvol bit above, assuming you subtract off gamma*L from
your incoming temperature.

Also, do you have fixed flow rate?

Also -- you might want to use PN-PN (lx2=lx1, etc), as we (Stefan)
found this to give much better results for LES.

Also, it could be that filtering really does not work well as an SGS
for the passive scalar eqn.  (It has the right look and feel for
momentum equation, particularly when one considers the effects on
the spectra; but I've not delved very deep in the case of temperature
yet...).

Paul