[Nek5000-users] mixed Velocity BC's

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Fri Dec 31 10:00:06 CST 2010

Hi Andrew,

At present, this can be done with Pn-Pn-2, which allows
specification of traction boundary conditions.

One issue is that an arbitrary surface is fundamentally different
than an aligned one because the constraints U.n = 0 and U.t_i = tau_i
couple the components of U=(u,v,w), meaning that these velocity
components must be solved in a single Helmholtz solve instead of
as 3 independent ways.   The stress formulation takes care of this.
It should be possible to do this in the Pn-Pn formulation as well,
but we're not there yet.  One possibility might be to use a high-order
explicit prescription of the boundary condition. (I'd have to think
about that a bit...)

Paul