[Nek5000-users] time derivative

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Tue Dec 14 15:34:10 CST 2010

Hi Francesco,

I would use a higher-order derivative, e.g.,

(3u^n - 4u^n-1 + u^n-2)/ 2dt would be 2nd order accurate.

You could also use centered differences,  (u^n+1 - u^n-1) / 2dt

to compute du/dt at t^n.

The best way to verify your results is to take lim dt--> 0 and
see that you realize the expected convergence.

There should be no difficulty with the characteristics scheme,
as far as I can tell.

Paul