[Nek5000-users] time derivative

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Tue Dec 14 11:07:41 CST 2010

thank you.

i do have a follow up question.
My case is a DNS of a turbulent channel.
I was hoping to use the the characteristics method (IFCHAR=T.)
and a target CFL number of 1.5 - 2.0 .

To compute time derivatives I am using a normal finite difference
[u(t)-u(t-dt)]/dt
but the results are suspicious.

Given the large time step, do you think it is possible to
Have reliable accelerations with this method?
Are there any better ways to compute them?

thank you a lot.
francesco