[Nek5000-users] makenek, sun complier & mpi

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Wed Apr 21 09:36:41 CDT 2010

On Wed, 2010-04-21 at 14:25 +0200, nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
wrote:
> Ok I think what happens is the following:
>
> We need to detect which compilers are used by the MPI-wrappers. Depending on the MPI implementation there are some flags (e.g. -showme / -show) you can use to figure that out.
>
> MPICH doesn't know the flag -showme hence it is passed to the compiler (in your case sunf95).
> The sun compiler says this is an unknown flag and returns a ZERO exit code.
> This is weird if not to say wrong because you would assume that the right exit code should be NON-ZERO in this case!
>
> It looks like only the SUN compiler behaves wrong in this situation.
> Unfortunately I don't have access to machine with MPICH/SUN so I cannot test my hypothesis.

Hi Stefan,

I have made an account for you on a workstation here with the Sun
compiler.  The various Mpichs are in /usr/local/progams.  Currently
mpif77 points to the mpich using the Sun compiler.

login: stefan
pass: dnsnek5000

Perhaps one could get the compiler name from the mpif77 script:

[fmuldoo at tetra programs]# grep 'FC="ifort"' mpif77
FC="ifort"

Cheers,
Frank