[Nek5000-users] makenek, sun complier & mpi

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Wed Apr 21 07:29:38 CDT 2010

Note the whole mess started because OpenMPI uses -showme instead of -show. They did that because there was a potential conflict with an internal compilers flag -show used by PGI.

Unfortunately the MPI standard doesn't say anything about the wrapper flags. It only suggest some features but all depends at the end on the specific MPI implementation.

Stefan

On Apr 21, 2010, at 2:25 PM, nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov wrote:

> Ok I think what happens is the following:
>
> We need to detect which compilers are used by the MPI-wrappers. Depending on the MPI implementation there are some flags (e.g. -showme / -show) you can use to figure that out.
>
> MPICH doesn't know the flag -showme hence it is passed to the compiler (in your case sunf95).
> The sun compiler says this is an unknown flag and returns a ZERO exit code.
> This is weird if not to say wrong because you would assume that the right exit code should be NON-ZERO in this case!
>
> It looks like only the SUN compiler behaves wrong in this situation.
> Unfortunately I don't have access to machine with MPICH/SUN so I cannot test my hypothesis.
>
> Stefan
>

> On Apr 21, 2010, at 2:00 PM, nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov wrote:
>
>> What MPI implementation are you using?
>>
>> Stefan
>>

>> On Apr 21, 2010, at 1:58 PM, nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov wrote:
>>
>>> Hello all,
>>>
>>> I am seeing the following error message when I use an mpif77 and mpicc
>>> that use the Sun compilers.  Everything is fine if in makenek F77=sunf95
>>> and CC=suncc (and IFMPI="false"), or if using mpif77 and mpicc that use
>>> the Intel compilers.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Frank
>>>

>>> sunf95: Warning: Option -showme passed to ld, if ld is invoked, ignored
>>> otherwise
>>> Usage: sunf95 [ options ] files.  Use 'sunf95 -flags' for details
>>> WARNING: Cannot detect compiler specfic flags
>>>    echo  - to promote REAL to 8 bytes
>>>    echo  - to invoke preprocessor first
>>> Please edit the makefile and specify the requested compiler flags in the
>>> P variable!
>>>
>>> --
>>> Frank Herbert Muldoon, Ph.D. Mechanical Engineering
>>> Technische Universität Wien (Technical University of Vienna)
>>> Inst. f. Strömungsmechanik und Wärmeübertragung (Institute of Fluid
>>> Mechanics and Heat Transfer)
>>> Resselgasse 3
>>> 1040 Wien
>>> Tel: +4315880132232