[Nek5000-users] Data Structure

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Mon Apr 19 05:37:49 CDT 2010

Hi Shriram,

Your interpretation of the layout is correct.  For the most part,
the geometry arrays of interest are

       xm1(i,j,k,e)
       ym1(i,j,k,e)
       zm1(i,j,k,e)

which give the (x,y,z) coordinates for every element e=1,...,nelt
on processor p, p=1,...,P.

(Note that there is no index to reflect "p" --- that index is
defined implicitly by the distributed memory model; each processor
has it's own unique set of data:  given i,j,k,e,p, one can find
the associated (x,y,z) point.   The inverse problem of finding
i,j,k,e,p for a given (x,y,z) value is much more difficult (and
expensive), but we have routines to handle this.)

Your picture is essentially correct, save that it is not requisite
that the element be oriented with the x-y axis.  It could just as
well have been rotated by 45 or 90 degrees, say.   We retain separate
arrays for the geometry in order to support curvilinear elements
having deformation and rotation that can accommodate complex shapes.
(A detailed description can be found in Deville, Fischer, Mund,
"High-Order Methods for Fluid Flow", which might be in your library.
I'm hoping to get additional description in a forthcoming reference manual.)

Paul