[Nek5000-users] Calculating wall shear stress and dimensionless wall distances

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Mon Apr 12 13:53:05 CDT 2010

Shriram,

Another option for small to medium sized data sets ( < 80,000 elements,
say), is to use the profile option in postx, which will interrogate the
solution along a line with up to 2000 points and then report:

x,y,z,u,v,w,p,t,distance along a line  (you choose which quantities you want)

Given this data, you can then derive the wall-tangent velocity profile
and get the wall shear.

Each line is specified by

x0,y0,z0
x1,y1,z1

You can list many such X0,X1 pairs in a file, and then you can
use the MAKE MOVIE option in postx to run through a sequence of
timesteps.   All profiles are then written to profile.out, which
I typically process with matlab.

Paul