[mpich-discuss] How can I debug MPI program

Pavan Balaji balaji at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Jul 28 08:44:02 CDT 2011

On 07/28/2011 12:15 AM, clara wrote:
> I see. I find mpich2-1.2 supports -gdb, doesn't it?

mpich2-1.2 had MPD as the default process manager. That was changed to
Hydra in 1.3 and mpd deprecated.

> Btw, for the current hydra process manager, we can use totalview to
> debug program, don't you?

Yes, totalview, ddt, ddd are all fine. The native gdb itself is
supported as well. You can even use it as:

% mpiexec -n 1 xterm -e gdb cg.S.2 : -n 1 xterm -e gdb cg.S.2

The "-gdb" option within mpd, on the other hand, isn't the native gdb.
MPD had its own gdb terminal implemented internally which used to manage
many independent native gdb's. That option is currently not available
(till we add it).

  -- Pavan