[mpich-discuss] MPICH2 CPUs Vs. Cores

Peter Willis pwillis at aslenv.com
Fri Jul 15 17:18:35 CDT 2011

On 7/15/2011 2:50 PM, Reuti wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am 15.07.2011 um 23:34 schrieb Peter Willis:
>
>> I have a single system with 4 CPUs. Each CPU has 12 cores.(48 cores total)
>> MPICH2 is built and installed from source and there are no errors.
>>
>> The documentation is a bit vague regarding CPUs  vs. Cores.
>>
>> QUESTIONS:
>>
>> 1.)
>> What is the best way for a single node system to utilize
>> a maximum number of cores?
>
> what do you mean by this in detail? Do your applications scale well with increasing number granted cores?

The code we are running scales well to 128 CPUs.

We have contact with another user who has a cluster with
several machines, 4 cores each machine. They run 64 cores
total.

Our system is only one machine with 48 cores. It currently
only utilizes 4 cores of the 48. In fact the system gives
a segfault if  mpiexec -n  is greater than 4. (?...)

I am trying to deduce if there is a compilation problem,
a run-time parameter problem, or a process management problem.

Peter