[mpich-discuss] mpich2 does not work with SGE

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Tue Jul 12 06:19:18 CDT 2011

Hi,

Am 12.07.2011 um 13:03 schrieb tilakraj dattaram:

> We have a rocks cluster with 10 nodes, with sun grid engine installed and running. I then installed the most recent version of mpich2 (1.4) on the master and compute nodes. However, we are unable to run parallel jobs through SGE (we can submit serial jobs without a problem). I am a sge newbie, and most of the installation that we have done is by reading step-by-step tutorials on the web.
>
> The mpich2 manual says that hydra is the default process manager for mpich2, and I have checked that the mpiexec command points to mpiexec.hydra. Also, which mpicc, which mpiexec point to the desired location of mpich2. I understand that in this version of mpich2, hydra should be integrated with SGE by default. But maybe I am missing something here.
>
> We are able to run parallel jobs using command line by specifying a host file (e.g, mpiexec -f hostfile -np 16 ./a.out), but would like the resource manager to take care of allocating resources on the cluster.

it's necessary to set up a so called parallel environment (i.e. a PE) in SGE and request it during the job submission. Then a plain mpirun without any hostfile or -np specification will do, as all is directly delivered by SGE. If all is set up in a proper way, you could even switch off `rsh` and `ssh` inside the cluster completely, as SGE's internal startup mechanism is used then to start processes on other nodes. In fact, disabling or limiting `ssh` to admin staff is a good way to check whether your parallel application has a tight integration into the queuingsystem where all slave processes are accounted also correctly and under full SGE control for a delition by `qdel`.