[mpich-discuss] unable to get host address

Nicolas Rosner nrosner at gmail.com
Wed Feb 23 09:41:11 CST 2011

Dear Alex,

Looks to me like something on your side is triggering a possible bug I
believe to have spotted in sock.c, but I still can't seem to reproduce
it the way it's happening to you.

I'm missing an important factor that those last values, odd as some
may be, don't seem to account for. If I'm not seeing ghosts, I'll
report the details later.

More questions, if you don't mind:

* What version of OS X are you running?

* Do you remember having modified the original /etc/hosts file? If it
contains any entries besides the ones in the one I enclose below,
would you please post its contents?

* Are you behind a NAT router, or directly connected to an ISP? (Does
ifconfig | grep 'UP\|inet\b'  show any IP address that doesn't start
with either 192.168.x.x, 10.0.x.x or 127.0.x.x?)

* Does anything change if you run (assuming you can and don't mind trying)
   sudo scutil --set HostName alexmac
and then retry, eventually adding if need be
   mpiexec -n 2 -hosts alexmac ./a.out

where "alexmac" can be any fresh (previously unused) name you like?

Thanks,
Nicolás

Here are comparable values from the freshly installed MacBook (where
MPICH2 builds and runs fine, although on an internal IP addr). This is
just for future reference: though related, I don't think it's by
itself the main cause.

hostname: Rogers-MacBook-Pro.local
hostname -s: Rogers-MacBook-Pro
scutil --get HostName: HostName: not set
scutil --get LocalHostName: Rogers-MacBook-Pro
scutil --get ComputerName: Roger’s MacBook Pro

And here's the default /etc/hosts file from OS X 10.6.x:

##
# Host Database
#
# localhost is used to configure the loopback interface
# when the system is booting.  Do not change this entry.
##
127.0.0.1 localhost
255.255.255.255  broadcasthost
::1  localhost