[mpich-discuss] unable to get host address

Nicolas Rosner nrosner at gmail.com
Wed Feb 23 01:49:59 CST 2011

Dear Pavan,

> Did you try MPICH2 _after_ you fixed the hostname related quirks on your machine?

Yes to the `after' part. However --sorry for the ambiguity, my bad-- when I said

>> broke a few (unrelated) programs until workarounds were added

... I meant that as in `to said programs', not as in `to the base
software / system configuration'.

The latter would have defeated my purpose, which was to check the
programs' readiness to be built, installed and run on a typical
current up-to-date Darwin laptop -- by this I mean Apple's latest OS X
release + Developer Tools + running Software Update until transitive
closure, and no other deps or tweaks beyond that.

I thus meant to confirm basically the same about MPICH2 -- although
limited, of course, to the few examples I ran, and to the particular
context, in this case a non-IANA, non-DNS, DHCP-assigned IP addr as in
the typical cheap wi-fi NAT router scenario.

>> and I thought might be misleading hydra similarly

... but mostly due to the coincidence; I didn't mean (now that'd have
been rude, heh) to compare the very reasonably solid MPICH2
config/build/install process with that of the aforementioned programs
(which lacks autoconf/automake, relies on a static makefile, a few
system utilities, and a few apparently strong assumptions about their
standard syntax and behavior).

> If yes, what were the problems and the fixes you made?

I'll spare you most details because my "yes" was closer to a "not
really", but will gladly expand if you happen to care. Main issue
revolved around Darwin's hostname(1) and uname(1) both returning FQDN
by default (or perhaps I should say to our hackish makefile assuming
they wouldn't, as in Debian and Gentoo) plus its
"John-Smiths-MacBook-Pro.local" default as a derivative of the
Aqua-level machine name.

Other two issues were about filesystem layout and most likely irrelevant here.

Best regards,
Nicolás