[mpich-discuss] Error when compiling with mpif90

Brandt Belson bbelson at princeton.edu
Sun Feb 13 16:41:03 CST 2011

Hello again,

I uninstalled, deleted the necessary .dylib's, and started again. Here are
the commands I used after your comments.

export FC=gfortran

$ ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/mpich2 --enable-shared
--enable-sharedlibs=osx-gcc --enable-fc 2>&1 | tee c.txt
(c.txt attached)
$ make VERBOSE=1 2>&1 | tee m.txt
(m.txt attached)

$ sudo make install 2>&1 | tee mi.txt

$ cd examples/f90
$ make 2>&1 | tee m_examples_f90.txt
(m_examples_f90.txt attached)

$ mpiexec -n 2 ./pi3f90
(pi3f90 runs and computes pi)

$ mpif90 -show
gfortran -Wl,-flat_namespace -I/usr/local/mpich2/include
-I/usr/local/mpich2/include -L/usr/local/mpich2/lib -lmpichf90 -lmpichf90
-lpmpich -lmpich -lopa -lmpl -lpthread

I've attached c.txt, m.txt, and m_examples_f90.txt in the compressed file (I
apologize for any inconvenience - my email was rejected when I didn't
compress them). In my last email, by the output from show I meant the output
when I used show and also included the compile options I use to compile my
code. I copied the output from only "mpif90 -show" above.

Since the examples work, I believe it is a problem specific to my code. This
code has compiled on Linux clusters with MPICH2 wrapping ifort, and also
compiles in serial on Mac OS X with gfortran. I don't own a license of
intel's ifort, so I can't try to install MPICH2 using ifort on Mac OS X. I'm
copying the compile command which generates the error message. The fortran
file is a few thousand lines long (this is an old inherited code) so I
haven't included it.

$ mpif90 -fdefault-real-8 -O3 -fdollar-ok -fmax-errors=6
-fconvert=big-endian -frecord-marker=4 -cpp  -mcmodel=large -DMPI
-I/usr/local/mpich2/include -L/usr/local/mpich2/lib  -c bla.f

I hope everything's clear now, and thank you for your help,
Brandt