[mpich-discuss] Possible setup problem

Andy_Holland at URSCorp.com Andy_Holland at URSCorp.com
Mon Apr 25 17:39:46 CDT 2011

Yeah, I put it in the wrong directory.  Ok, I reran in a shared area and
I've attached the log file.

Thanks,

Andy Holland
Air Quality Modeler
URS Corporation
1600 Perimeter Park Drive
Suite 400
Morrisville, NC 27560
Direct: (303) 796-4694
Cell: (919) 619-4218
Fax: (919) 461-1415
andy_holland at urscorp.com

This e-mail and any attachments contain URS Corporation confidential
information that may be proprietary or privileged. If you receive this
message in error or are not the intended recipient, you should not retain,
distribute, disclose or use any of this information and you should destroy
the e-mail and any attachments or copies.

Darius Buntinas <buntinas at mcs.anl.gov>
Sent by: mpich-discuss-bounces at mcs.anl.gov
04/25/2011 05:45 PM
Please respond to
mpich-discuss at mcs.anl.gov

mpich-discuss at mcs.anl.gov
cc

Subject
Re: [mpich-discuss] Possible setup problem

Andy,

Looking through the log file, I see a line that says:

[proxy:0:1 at s051rhlapp02] launch_procs
(/usr/local/mpich2-1.3.2p1/src/pm/hydra/pm/pmiserv/pmip_cb.c:639): unable
to change wdir to /home/andy_holland/mpich_test (No such file or
directory)

Can you check that you can access /home/andy_holland/mpich_test from
s051rhlapp02 ?

If not, put simple_test into a directory that's accessible from both
machines, and try it again.

Thanks,
-d

On Apr 25, 2011, at 3:55 PM, Andy_Holland at URSCorp.com wrote:

> Daruis,
>         Thanks.  If I had just thought for a second longer I would have
had it.  Attached is the log file for your test program.

> Andy Holland
> Air Quality Modeler
> URS Corporation
> 1600 Perimeter Park Drive
> Suite 400
> Morrisville, NC 27560
> Direct: (303) 796-4694
> Cell: (919) 619-4218
> Fax: (919) 461-1415
> andy_holland at urscorp.com
>
> This e-mail and any attachments contain URS Corporation confidential
information that may be proprietary or privileged. If you receive this
message in error or are not the intended recipient, you should not retain,
distribute, disclose or use any of this information and you should destroy
the e-mail and any attachments or copies.

> Darius Buntinas <buntinas at mcs.anl.gov>
> Sent by: mpich-discuss-bounces at mcs.anl.gov
> 04/25/2011 04:32 PM
> Please respond to

> cc
> Subject
> Re: [mpich-discuss] Possible setup problem
>

> Sorry.  Just run:
>    mpicc simple_test.c -o simple_test
>
> If you needed to specify the full path for mpiexec, use the same path
for mpicc.  This will generate the executable called simple_test.

> -d
>

> On Apr 25, 2011, at 3:26 PM, Andy_Holland at URSCorp.com wrote:
>

> > Darius,
> >         Thanks for your help with this.  You'll have to forgive me
though, I'm a Fortran programmer and I'm not exactly sure how to compile
the program you sent me.  I have gcc by the way.

> > Thanks,
> >
> > Andy Holland
> > Air Quality Modeler
> > URS Corporation
> > 1600 Perimeter Park Drive
> > Suite 400
> > Morrisville, NC 27560
> > Direct: (303) 796-4694
> > Cell: (919) 619-4218
> > Fax: (919) 461-1415
> > andy_holland at urscorp.com
> >
> > This e-mail and any attachments contain URS Corporation confidential
information that may be proprietary or privileged. If you receive this
message in error or are not the intended recipient, you should not retain,
distribute, disclose or use any of this information and you should destroy
the e-mail and any attachments or copies.

> > Darius Buntinas <buntinas at mcs.anl.gov>
> > Sent by: mpich-discuss-bounces at mcs.anl.gov
> > 04/25/2011 03:19 PM
> > Please respond to
> > mpich-discuss at mcs.anl.gov

> > mpich-discuss at mcs.anl.gov
> > cc
> > Subject
> > Re: [mpich-discuss] Possible setup problem
> >

> > OK, can you try the attached test program with the same number of
processes and machine file, but also add the -l option to mpiexec (to
label the lines of output with the rank).

> > Thanks,
> > -d
> >

> > [attachment "simple_test.c" deleted by Andy Holland/Denver/URSCorp]
> > On Apr 25, 2011, at 2:00 PM, Andy_Holland at URSCorp.com wrote:
> >

> > > I've attached the log for running cpi using the same machinefile.
> > >

> > > Thank you,
> > >
> > > Andy Holland
> > > Air Quality Modeler
> > > URS Corporation
> > > 1600 Perimeter Park Drive
> > > Suite 400
> > > Morrisville, NC 27560
> > > Direct: (303) 796-4694
> > > Cell: (919) 619-4218
> > > Fax: (919) 461-1415
> > > andy_holland at urscorp.com
> > >
> > > This e-mail and any attachments contain URS Corporation confidential
information that may be proprietary or privileged. If you receive this
message in error or are not the intended recipient, you should not retain,
distribute, disclose or use any of this information and you should destroy
the e-mail and any attachments or copies.

> > > Darius Buntinas <buntinas at mcs.anl.gov>
> > > Sent by: mpich-discuss-bounces at mcs.anl.gov
> > > 04/25/2011 02:51 PM
> > > Please respond to
> > > mpich-discuss at mcs.anl.gov

> > > mpich-discuss at mcs.anl.gov
> > > cc
> > > Subject
> > > Re: [mpich-discuss] Possible setup problem
> > >

> > > Hi Andy,
> > >
> > > Can you try running cpi from the examples directory of the MPICH2
source tree with the same number of processes and the same machine file?
Let us know if that works, and, if not, send us the output, please.

> > > Thanks,
> > > -d

attached a log file from the model.

confidential information that may be proprietary or privileged. If you
receive this message in error or are not the intended recipient, you
should not retain, distribute, disclose or use any of this information and
you should destroy the e-mail and any attachments or copies.

run stops with many mpi messages.  Below is the last message in the list:

(/usr/local/mpich2-1.3.2p1/src/pm/hydra/ui/mpich/mpiexec.c:404): process
manager error waiting for completion

error messages are the most useful/relevant; the last ones often are just
messages announcing some sort of cleanup or secondary error caused by the
original error.