[mpich-discuss] MPICH2 can not run on the newest issue of centos and debian

Dave Goodell goodell at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Apr 19 09:27:47 CDT 2011

What version of mpich2 are you using?  Can you just paste the output from the "mpich2version" command in your response?

There's a good chance that you are using a version that uses the newer process manager, hydra, instead of mpd.  There is no mpdboot step when using hydra (you use a hostfile at mpiexec-time instead), so that would explain why all of your processes are launching on the local node.

If you aren't using a version of mpich2 that has hydra, you should.  We don't support mpd anymore, so you'll need to upgrade before we can help you.

http://wiki.mcs.anl.gov/mpich2/index.php/Using_the_Hydra_Process_Manager

-Dave