[mpich-discuss] mpich2-1.3rc2.tar.tar under cygwin+WINDOWS Server 2003 R2 installation problem

Victor Gillette victor.gillette at ncsu.edu
Tue Oct 12 10:30:30 CDT 2010

Hi. I am interested in running MCNP parallel on a Windows Server 2003 R2 64
bits System with Intel fortran Compiler and cygwin installed and working.

First I tried installing

mpich2-1.2.1p1-win-x86-64.msi

but mpiexec answered something like smpd was not the right version.

Then I ran smpd -install

and when trying to run mpiexec nothing happened.

I read that hydra would be a more robust manager instead of smpd, so I
downloaded the source files of

mpich2-1.3rc2.tar.tar

because the pages with binaries were not available and I ran

./configure
make
make install

I found some issues while make, like datatypes for Fortran were not defined
in mpi.h of mpif.h . What I did to patch these problems is copying the
values for these definitions from the mpif.h and mpi.h files of the previous
version I had installed. I have no idea if this is completely crazy or a
reasonable assumption, but make ended OK. There was another issue which was
that a file setbotf.o was not found in binding/f77 but I found the
file setbotf.obj , so I
renamed the file to have .o extension and make and make install ended
successfully.

I was able to compile Hiworld.c but it doesn't run. I was not able to
compile Hiworld.f (datatypes ended with ")" when something else was expected.

I created all MPICH twice the first time with all defaults, which
produced HYDRA, and a second time with MPD because I found no
explanation about how to start HYDRA in the manual.

With MPD I defined the file .mpd.conf in my home folder and the file
mpd.conf in the /etc folder

I started MPD with

mpd --ncpus=8 &

and if I type

mpdtrace

the code answers my system name.

if I type

mpiexec -n 4 ls

the output of ls is shown 4 times on the screen.

I can create a.exe with

mpicc Hi.c

successfully, however these are the outputs of different commands I tried:

$ mpiexec Hic.exe
missing num_proc flag: -n, -np, -hosts, or -localonly.
Unable to parse the mpiexec command arguments.

vhgillette at TRISO /cygdrive/e/Victor/MCNP/CHECK/VIC/test
$ mpiexec -n 2 Hic.exe

vhgillette at TRISO /cygdrive/e/Victor/MCNP/CHECK/VIC/test
$ ./Hic.exe
 argx  2280688   argv  ô
Hello from processor 0 of 1

so, please, could anyone ive me some advise about how to run mpi
successfully on my system?

Thanks

Victor