[mpich-discuss] Parallel jobs

Gus Correa gus at ldeo.columbia.edu
Mon Nov 29 12:28:17 CST 2010

Hi Talla

It is no rocket science, just add them to your mpirun command.
Say:

Old command (whatever you have there):
mpirun -n 16 my_program

Modified command (whatever you had there with "-s all" added):
mpirun -s all -n 16 my_program

I am not even sure if it will work, but it is worth giving it a try,
as all processes seem to be trying to read from stdin,
for which in MPICH2 seems to require the specific flag '-s all'.

***

In a different key,
looking at your messages, and the paths that you refer to,
it seems to me that you may be mixing MPICH2 and OpenMPI.
At least the test program you mention this:

 >         I tested the cluster using the following command:
 >         /opt/openmpi/bin/mpirun -nolocal np 16 -machinefile machines
 >         /opt/mpi-test/bin/mpi-ring

In particular, the mpirun commands of each MPI are quite different,
and to some extent so is the hardware support.
This mixing is a very common source of frustration.

Both MPICH2 and OpenMPI follow the MPI standard.
However, they are different beasts,
and mixing them will not work at all.

Stick to one of them only, for compilation (say mpicc or mpif90)
and to run the program (mpirun/mpiexec).
In doubt, use full path names for all (mpicc, mpif90, mpirun, etc).
This mailing list is the support list for MPICH2:
http://www.mcs.anl.gov/research/projects/mpich2/

For OpenMPI you need to look elsewhere:
http://www.open-mpi.org/

You may want to check first how your (ABINIT) computational Chemistry
program was compiled.
Computational Chemistry is *not* my league, I have no idea of what the
heck ABINIT does, probably some many-body Schroedinger equation, and I
forgot Quantum Mechanics a while ago.
Don't ask me about it.

If your ABINIT came pre-compiled you need to stick with
whatever flavor (and even version) of MPI that they used.
If you compiled it yourself, you need to stick to the MPI flavor and
version associated to the *same* MPI compiler wrapper you used to
compile it.
I.e. mpicc or mpif90 *and* mpirun/mpiexec must be from the same MPI
flavor and version.
Take a look at the Makefiles, perhaps at the configure scripts,
they may give a hint.

Good luck.

My two cents,
Gus Correa