[mpich-discuss] configure: different behaviour for bitypes.h ontwo machines

Siegmar Gross Siegmar.Gross at informatik.fh-fulda.de
Fri Jan 30 07:50:48 CST 2009

> > > configure:23487: checking for sys/bitypes.h
> > > configure:23508:   conftest.c
> > > configure:23515: $? = 0
> > > configure:23562: result: yes
> >
> > I believe the bug has been fixed in our repository about 2 months ago.
> >
> > Here is what happens as far as I can remember:
> >
> > For some reasons, configure.in somehow eats up the check for C preprocessor,
> > so C preprocessor is undefined before the tests of all header files,
> > that get us to the line 23508 that configure tries to execute
> > a text file conftest.c.  Normally, the system (i.e. any unix hosts)
> > would emit an error when executing a text file.  But Cygwin's default
> > bourne-like shell returns OK when running conftest.c, hence wrong result
> > for the header file.  We have since added a explicit check for C
> > preprocessor
> > and replaced the old test for headers with a modern/robust one,
> > problem seems to go away.
>
> Thank you very much for your reply. Where can I find the latest version of
> configure and configure.in? I have downloaded mpich2-1.0.8 once more but
> it is the same one which I have already used. Why does "configure" behave
> different on my two machines?

I have compared the log-files of both machines and found another strange
thing.

tyr 95 diff log.configure.Cygwin.x86.eiger log.configure.Cygwin.x86.wi23 | more
2c2
< Running on system: CYGWIN_NT-5.1 eiger 1.5.25(0.156/4/2) 2008-06-12 19:34 i686
Cygwin
---
> Running on system: CYGWIN_NT-5.1 wi23 1.5.25(0.156/4/2) 2008-06-12 19:34 i686
Cygwin
81,85c81,82
< checking whether make supports include... no
< checking whether make allows comments in actions... no
< configure: WARNING: Your make does not allow comments in target code.
< Using this make may cause problems when building programs.
< You should consider using gnumake instead.
---
> checking whether make supports include... yes
> checking whether make allows comments in actions... yes
146c143
< checking for sys/bitypes.h... no
---
> checking for sys/bitypes.h... yes

wi23 Admin 1 which make
/usr/bin/make
wi23 Admin 2 make --version
GNU Make 3.81
PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

This program built for i686-pc-cygwin
wi23 Admin 3

I get exactly the same output for "make" on my other machine "eiger".
Why does configure return different results? Is it possible that this
is the reason for the "sys/bitypes.h"-problem?

Kind regards

Siegmar