[mpich-discuss] -mpe=mpitrace not producing any output, and Valgrind outputs on r3717

Anthony Chan chan at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Jan 7 10:52:53 CST 2009

----- "James S Perrin" <james.s.perrin at manchester.ac.uk> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> 	I too am having problems with -mpe=mpitrace, ironically I was trying
> to use it to analyse the speed issue with nemesis. All I get in the way
> of output is :
>
> [0] Ending MPI_Finalize
> [1] Ending MPI_Finalize
> [3] Ending MPI_Finalize
> [2] Ending MPI_Finalize
> [4] Ending MPI_Finalize
>
> I can't downsize my code unfortunately and I get start and end
> messages for MPI calls when I compile cpi.

Does your code use any MPI-2 features, like connect/accept or
comm_spawn or even put/get ?  Did you try -mpe=mpilog ?

> However if this option is equivalent the the MPE -mpitrace option
>
> http://www-unix.mcs.anl.gov/mpi/mpich1/docs/mpeman/node7.htm#Node8
>
> should it also be printing out some accumulated times as well?

I look up some really old versions of trc_wrappers.c in MPICH1 and I don't
see it has any statistics collection code in it.  My guess is that the
MPICH1 documentation was never updated.  BTW, if you need simple statistics,
you could use FPMPI2 at http://www.mcs.anl.gov/fpmpi
(the latest version about 1 year old)

A.Chan