[mpich-discuss] MPICH2-1.0.8 performance issues on Opteron Cluster

James S Perrin james.s.perrin at manchester.ac.uk
Mon Jan 5 08:00:43 CST 2009

Hi,
	I thought I'd just mention that I too have found that our software
performs poorly with nemesis compared to ssm on our multi-core machines.
I've tried it on both a 2xDual core AMD x64 and 2xQuad core Xeon x64
machines. It's roughly 30% slower. I've not been able to do any analysis
as yet as to where the nemesis version is loosing out?

	The software performs mainly point-to-point communication in a master
and slaves model. As the software is interactive the slaves call
MPI_Iprobe while waiting for commands. Having compiled against the ssm
version would have no effect, would it?

Regards
James

Sarat Sreepathi wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We got a new 10-node Opteron cluster in our research group. Each node
> has two quad core Opterons. I installed MPICH2-1.0.8 with Pathscale(3.2)
> compilers and three device configurations (nemesis,ssm,sock). I built
> and tested using the Linpack(HPL) benchmark with ACML 4.2 BLAS library
> for the three different device configurations.
>
> I observed some unexpected results as the 'nemesis' configuration gave
> the worst performance. For the same problem parameters, the 'sock'
> version was faster and the 'ssm' version hangs. For further analysis, I
> obtained screenshots from the Ganglia monitoring tool for the three
> different runs. As you can see from the attached screenshots, the
> 'nemesis' version is consuming more 'system cpu' according to Ganglia.
> The 'ssm' version fares slightly better but it hangs towards the end.
>
> I may be missing something trivial here but can anyone account for this
> discrepancy? Isn't 'nemesis' device or 'ssm' device recommended for this
> cluster configuration? Your help is greatly appreciated.

   James S. Perrin
   Visualization

   Research Computing Services
   Devonshire House, University Precinct