[MPICH] getting gcc 4.2 easily without root access

Kamaraju Kusumanchi kamaraju at gmail.com
Sun Jun 10 10:06:25 CDT 2007

Hi

    Can someone recommend the easiest way to get a statically linked
gcc 4.2 compiler on a CentOS 4.4 machine? I cannot use the rpms to
install gcc 4.2 since that requires root access. Compiling gcc,
gfortran, g++ seems very complicated and time consuming.

Normally I use daily created gfortran snapshots (available from
gfortran website) to install gcc, gfortran. But recently, I think, I
might be hitting a bug in gcc 4.3 and would like to install gcc 4.2 to
see if the problem is reproducible with gcc 4.2 as well.

Any ideas?

thanks
raju