[MPICH] Status of MPICH2 wrt collective communications

Martin Schwinzerl martin.schwinzerl at stud.uni-graz.at
Sun Apr 15 10:58:44 CDT 2007

Dear all,

I'm searching for information about the used algorithms (esp. the cutoff
- points, where
switching between these algorithms occur) for MPICH2 and would be very
grateful
for any assistence. The most recent piece of information regarding this
topic I am aware
of is the paper by R. Thakur, R. Rabenseifner and W. Gropp [1], which
describes the
implementation for the 0.971 realease of MPICH2 and the 1.2.6 version of
MPICH1. After
skimming through the release notes and change logs since these versions,
my main question is, whether there have been any changes / improvements
in this field
on the algorithmic level since those releases and if so, whether they
got publicated.

I'm interested in this topic due to a couple of reasons (personal
interest, discussion with
our cluster admin about upgrade from MPICH 1.2.6 to MPICH2, discussion
with other users
of our cluster about upgrading from MPICH 1.2.6 to MPICH2, optimising my
own parallel code, ... ).
I just wanted to ask if there is some easier way to get to this
information than studying the source
code directly (which I'm prepared to do, nevertheless :-) ).

Please accept my appologies, if this is the wrong list to ask such a
question.

Thanks in advance & best regards

Martin Schwinzerl

[1] Optimization of Collective Communication Operations in MPICH
Rajeev Thakur, Rolf Rabenseifner and William Gropp
Retrieved from http://www-unix.mcs.anl.gov/~thakur/papers/ijhpca-coll.pdf