[POOL] Results

John Valdes j-valdes at comcast.net
Wed Oct 9 00:54:38 CDT 2019

Another 2 and 3 night (2 wins, 3 losses).  We played Cue Therapy.

Martino opened the night against Glen in a 2:4 match that turned into
a marathon.  Martino won the 2nd game to get to the hill first, but
Glen took the next two to get to the hill as well.  Glen was on his
way to winning the final game and the match, but he rattle the 8 in
the pocket, given Martino another chance at the table which he used to
sink his remaining ball and the 8 for the match win, 2:3.

Craig played next against Karle in a 2:3.  Craig was making shots, but
Karle was stringing together good runs and beating Craig to the 8.
She shutout Craig 0:3.

Derek went up against Bob in the 3rd match, a 1:4.  Derek was making
shots too, but Bob's very good and pretty much monopolized the table.
Bob won the first 3 games and got to the 8 quickly in the final game,
which he sank with a straight-on shot, but which--to Derek's luck--was
followed by the cueball for a scratch, giving the game and match to
Derek, 1:3!

Paul H went next in a 2:8 against Bata.  Bata's really good, with a
109 handicap, but Paul came out of the gate shooting, getting to the 8
first in the 1st game.  Unfortunately he was just slightly off angle
on his shot and missed sinking it, but luckly he got another chance
after Bata missed a shot.  Unluckly, Paul missed the 8 again, and this
time Bata didn't miss his shtos and took the game.  Paul came very
close to winning again in the 2nd game, but not until the 6th game was
he able to sink the 8 to finally get on the hill.  With each
successive game however, Bata's shooting got better and better, and he
didn't give Paul another opportunity, winning the next 3 games and the
match over Paul, 1:8.

John played the final match of the night against Mr Handicap 153 Kevin
in a 1:9.  I got a surprising number of turns at the table, and
managed to get down to just a single one of my balls on the table in a
couple of matches.  In the 7th game, Kevin gave me ball-in-hand with
me just having 3 balls on the table after he left his pocket-speed
shot hanging in the pocket without any ball hitting a rail.  I had a
nice, easy setup to runout my remaining balls and the 8, but I hit the
second ball a little too softly and didn't get the carry on the
cueball that I wanted, leaving me with a harder cut on my remaining
ball which unfortunately I missed.  Kevin then sank his hanging ball
and the 8 to take that game.  Kevin then ran out the next game w/o
giving me a chance to shoot, and by the final game, my reserve of
shot-making was spend, so Kevin took the match, 0:9.

So 2 match wins again on the night, better than no wins, and 3 close
losses that could have easily gone our way.