[POOL] Argonne Pool League - Week #1

Bass, Dean Allen bass at anl.gov
Wed Sep 19 10:41:43 CDT 2018

Welcome back every one.  It was great seeing everyone again and to get back to playing pool after a great summer.   Attached are the results, stats, standings and schedule.    Please review for accuracy.   Next week I will be out so please see Dave Stevens for any questions or issues.

New Players.  We had 2 new players who started last night:  Jesse Klingberg (90) on Team #3 Bass Awkward and Randy Hanson (35) on Team #8 Holdin’ Our Own.  Please welcome them when you see them.  I think there are still a few teams in need of players and I have a couple additional players who have expressed interest and I will be putting a notice in “Argonne Today”.

Captains Meeting.  It was decided to adopt Ron’s suggestion for the spring playoffs and a review of Table 5 etiquette was discussed.  There were no other issues or concerns.

New Play Off payout system to start Spring of 2019.  At the end of the three week tournament, there are four possible final scores: 3 wins, 2 wins and 1 loss, 1 win and two losses, and three losses. My suggestion of to make the team payouts depend only on those final scores. In the past, the payouts depended not just on the final scores, but also on the path through the tournament bracket. Practically, this means that each winning night gives the team a point, and it doesn’t matter which week that win occurs, they all count the same as far as the prize fund. This is in contrast to the past scheme where the first week is more important than the last week. I suggest that the place numbers (1st, 2nd, etc.) from the playoff tournament remain the same, but those place numbers will be mostly symbolic, as the actual payouts would now depend only on the final scores.

The total tournament prize money would be divided into 20 parts, and each finishing place would receive the following payout:

3W   4/20 =20%
2W1L 3/20 =15% (three teams with this score: WWL, WLW, and LWW)
1W2L 2/20 =10% (three teams with this score: WLL, LWL, and LLW)
3L   1/20 =5%

Another way of looking at this is that each team is effectively given 5% of the prize money at the beginning of the tournament, and each winning night after that gives them an additional 5%.

Just for comparison, here are the payouts for the past scheme:

WWW 8/36 =22.2%
WWL 7/36 =19.4%
WLW 6/36 =16.7%
LWW 5/36 =13.9%
WLL 4/36 =11.1%
LWL 3/36 =8.3%
LLW 2/36 =5.5%
LLL 1/36 =2.8%

In the final week of play with the old scheme, the teams are playing for 1/36=2.8% of the prize fund. With the new scheme, they will be playing for 1/20=5% of the prize fund, the same as the previous weeks.

Table 5 étiquette - The play on table 5 has generally been working well.   Utilization of this table is necessary to complete our matches in a timely manner.  For the most part, teams have been and should make a good faith effort to play their matches on table 5 at the scheduled time.  If a team prefers not to play at the scheduled time, they should consult with the opposing team to determine the course of action.  The most common action is that the spot is passed to the next table (team).  If this is not acceptable or creates undo hardship for either team, talk to Dean or Dave and we will mediate and come up with an equitable solution.  Again problems have been minimal and we’d like to keep it that way.  Thanks for your continued efforts on this.

Week    Date    Table 1 Table 2 Table 3 Table 4
Number

2       25-Sep-18       6       -       7       1       -       3       2       -       8       4       -       5

Team    Team Name       Total Wins      Ranking
2       The Moe Szyslak Experience      5       1
3       Bass Ackward    4       2
7       No Sweat        4       2
1       Cue Therapy     3       4
6       X-CUE-SES       1       5
4       Nice Rack       0       6
5       Nice Game, 7 Bucks      0       6
8       Holdin' Our Own 0       6