[POOL] Pool season is here!

John Valdes j-valdes at comcast.net
Sun Sep 16 19:07:05 CDT 2018

The new season starts this Tue, 9/18!  Final roster is:

  Derek McLain
  Jesse Amerson
  John Valdes
  Martino Henderson
  Paul Hovland
  Paul Lucido
  Tami Martin

Random items:

* We can probably use a player or two (1 ~full-time or 2 ~part-time).
  Friends would be preferable, else we can ask for a player on the
  league wait list.  If no one has a friend who wants to join, then
  lets try to get a player from Dean's list.  Someone from Argonne/CELS
  maybe, but doesn't really matter, as long as he can play pool. :)

* Our winnings from the Winter/Spring session were $525, which exactly
  covers our match fees ($7 * 5 players * 14 weeks = $490) + session
  dues ($5 * 7 players = $35), so free pool this session!  Any new
  players we get will need to pay their own $5 session dues; and maybe
  cover our bar tabs...

* I will be out of town this Tue unfortunately, so I will miss our
  first night.  There's a captain's meeting at 7PM, so it would be good
  if someone from the team attends in my stead (Paul L said he can
  attend, but if he's playing at that time, we may need someone
  else).  Items on the agenda are Ron's proposed change to the payouts
  for the playoffs (which personally, I'm not in favor of--too much
  like everyone gets a "participation trophy" :) --in many sports,
  it's not only playing well that gets you ahead but also when
  you're playing well, and the current payout scheme follows that,
  which I prefer), and use of table 5 (don't know what's proposed, but
  the current setup seems to be working fine as far as I'm
  concerned).  Also, Paul L has $60 of our winnings to cover Tue's
  fees and dues for 5 players; don't let him spend that on beer!

Here's to a good season!