[POOL] APL - Week 12

Bass, Dean Allen bass at anl.gov
Wed Mar 22 08:58:05 CDT 2017

Only 2 weeks left before the playoffs start and it is very close.  There are 3 teams tied for first with 32 wins, and 3 teams with 31 wins.  So high drama for the next two weeks.  Martino Henderson remains on top of the MVP race.  Remember this award goes to the leader at the end of the regular season.

Just a quick comment on the rules.  We have a nice laid back league, but we should try to adhere to the rules as written.  One of the most difficult rules/calls is the double hit of the cue ball when the cue ball is close to the object ball.  This is a ball in hand foul when it occurs.  In cases with lower handicap players I generally do not call this foul.  Proper etiquette in this situation (or any potential close call) is to ask for someone to “watch the hit”.  If your not sure what any of this means, let me know and I can give you a demonstration.  Also, a question came up on coaching, so I thought I’d share the rules from our rule book.

3.1. Coaching
Coaching is defined as giving tactical advice as to which ball to shoot, where to
leave the cue ball and other information relating to the specific game. Coaching is called
by anyone on the current team (including the shooter) saying “Time-Out” or “Coach.” To
avoid any confusion, say it loudly and clearly enough for the opposing team to hear.
Avoid disputes, when it is your turn, go to the table and begin your turn. Don’t continue
talking with your teammates as your opponent may think you are being illegally coached.
The shooting player may ask for a rule clarification from any league player, anyone may
remind the shooter to mark the 8-ball pocket, or that they are about to shoot the wrong
group of object balls, or that they have a “cue-ball in hand”; these do not count as tactical
coaching advice. Any current team member can give coaching advice to the designated
coach before a “Coach” is called; the designated coach must be the person that relays the
advice to the player. If the designated coach becomes unavailable during the match,
another team member may assume the role provided notice is given to the opposing team
beforehand. In the event that no team members are available to act as the designated
coach, another league member may be enlisted to act as a substitute designated coach
provided the opposing player approves the selection; if the opposing team does not
approve a substitute designated coach, then the shooting player must continue play
without the benefit of advice. The coach should approach the pool table (rather than the
shooter going to the team’s table). Violation of the following coaching rules results in a
ball-in-hand for the opponent:
Coaching
Violations
(Ball-‐in‐Hand
Penalty)
• Only three coaches are allowed for handicaps < 10, two coaches for handicaps 10 to
100, and one coach for handicaps > 100.
• Each coaching period is limited to approximately two minutes (after the two minute
coaching period, the player then has one minute to execute the shot). The opposing
team should give a 10 second warning, and if the coach does not leave the table by the
two minute limit, the penalty is imposed.
• The coach may not place the cue ball on the table at any time. A coach may pick up
the cue ball off of the floor, out of a pocket, or out of the ball return, but he must hand
it to the shooting player, he may not place the ball on the table.
• The coach may not mark the 8-ball pocket.
• The coach must not mark the table in any way (chalk, powder, water, etc.) and he must
leave the table before the shooter attempts the shot.

Team	Team Name	Total Wins	Ranking
3	Bass Ackward	32	1
7	No Sweat	32	1
8	Holdin' Our Own	32	1
1	Cue Therapy	31	4
4	Nice Rack	31	4
5	Nice Game, 7 Bucks	31	4
6	X-CUE-SES	27	7
2	The Moe Szyslak Experience	23	8

Week	Date	Table 1	Table 2	Table 3	Table 4
Number

13	28-Mar-17	2	-	4	5	-	7	6	-	8	1	-	3