[POOL] Results

John Valdes valdes at anl.gov
Wed Feb 19 19:05:06 CST 2014

Last night we played X-Cue-Ses.

Martino went first against Jason in a 2:2.  Martino struggled a little
initially to get his shots online, but fortunately when he missed, he
left Jason without easy shots.  That was enough to stymie Jason while
Martino caught up, getting to and sinking the 8 first to win game 1.
The remaining games were very close, with Jason taking the 2nd.
Martino was on his way to take the 3rd and final game, but then the
pockets started rejecting the balls Martino sent their way.  Jason
then put some good runs together and stole the win from Martino to
take the match, 1:2.

Tami played next against Bobby in a 1:5.  Tami was making good shots
and shooting out of most of the defensive traps Bobby kept leaving for
her, coming very close to winning the 1st and 2nd games.
Unfortunately, that shoke Bobby's confidence a bit, and he started
focusing more on making his shots and giving Tami less time at the
table, ultimately shutting her out of the remaining games, 0:5.

I started the third match against Pat, a 1:7, while Tami was still
playing Bobby.  Pat said at the start that he was feeling good but not
generous, but nonetheless he gave me a couple of unexpected turns at
the table in the first game after missing tough shots.  My aim was
spot on for once, but inevitably, Pat got to the 8 before I did to win
the 1st game.  After Pat shot the cueball off the table on the break
to start the 2nd game, I had ball-in-hand (literally--I caught the
cueball in midair when it sailed off the table) and used it to put a
good run together, leaving Pat with some tough shots.  He tried a
safety on one, leaving me with a couple of easy shots but with my
final ball guarded by the 8 against a rail and the pocket nearest the
8 partially blocked by one of his balls.  I made the easy shots,
banked my last ball off the rail and into the opposite corner pocket,
and cut the 8 down the rail just past his pocket blocker for the game
and match win, 1:1.  Woo!

Roger played the fourth match against Gaylen, a 2:4.  The first two
games where epic battles, lasting 20 min each.  In the first, Roger
sank balls when he had a shot and left Gaylen snookered when he
didn't.  Garylen returned the favor a couple of times, but Roger was
able to get to the 8 first and sank it to win the first game.  The
second game went much the same way, except this time Gaylen sank the 8
first.  After that, Roger's aim started to waver a little, leaving his
balls rattling in the pockets or just wide.  Gaylen struggled to sink
balls in one particular corner pocket for a while, but otherwise he
put the other pockets to use.  Ultimately, Gaylen prevailed, winning
the remaining games and taking down Roger, 1:4.

Neither team had a 5th player, so the 5th match is to be made up at a
later date.  That might mean you'll be playing Ron Shepard, Paul.
You're welcome. :)

Next week we play Bob Daun's team, Nice Game, 7 Bucks.

Speaking of 7 bucks, we've just about exhausted our winnings from
fall.  We have enough left for the makeup match plus two more
matches.  So first two players who win their matches next week play
for free; the rest, plan on paying $7 for the privilege of losing. :)