[POOL] League News

John Valdes valdes at anl.gov
Tue Dec 17 15:54:47 CST 2013

Moe,

As mentioned, today is the last night of the Fall session.  FYI for
those new to the league this year: based on the standings after
tonight, teams will get a cash award that comes from the collected
league fees.  All teams get something, with the team finishing first
getting the most, and the team finishing 8th getting the least.  At
the end of the Winter session (sometime in Apr), teams will get
another payoout based on their Winter performance, and after that,
there will be playoffs with yet another payout.  A team's total wins
from both sessions will determine their seating in the playoffs.

Winter session begins Jan 7, so no pool after today for 3 weeks.

Also as metioned previous, Kevin Bayer will be stepping down as
League President after today.  Dean Bass has agreed to take over
starting Winter session.  Dean was one of the original founders of the
League (~25 years ago or so), so this will be a return as President.

For the Winter session, we're going to go back to playing 5 matches
per night, so we'll need 5 players to show up each week.  Q will let
the league keep 2 tables past 10 PM, so that plus using the 5th table
(aka "practice" table) for matches will hopefully allow us to get all
the matches done each week.

Given the extra match per team per week, we'll be able to reduce
League fees.  The session "buyin" will now be $5 (down from $10), and
the per match fee will now be $7 (down from $8).