[POOL] Results

John Valdes valdes at anl.gov
Wed Oct 23 14:23:25 CDT 2013

On Wed, Oct 23, 2013 at 01:45:41PM -0500, Paul Hovland wrote:
> We played X-cue-ses (Ron's team).  I missed the first two matches, so John and Tami will need to provide details.

I went first against Gaylen (Kuehl) in a 2:2 match-up.  Like the lag,
which won by what couldn't have been more than a mm, the first game
was pretty evenly played; Gaylen had the initial advantage, but I made
my way back after he stalled while trying to sink his last two balls a
couple of times, leaving them just shy of the pockets.  I was setup to
run the rest of my balls, but missed on the 2nd to last, leaving
Gaylen with an easy runout for a win.  In the 2nd game, I had the
initial advantage, with 2 balls left to sink, only to find myself
trapped behind most of Gaylen's balls.  Without a ball in a sinkable
position, I opted to knock one of mine away from Gaylen's, intending to
leave it in the middle of the table where hopefully I could sink it on
my next turn.  Instead, after hitting my ball, I rattled the cueball
in--but fortunately back out of--the nearby corner pocket and sent my
target ball rolling to the middle of the table and beyond, all the way
to the opposite corner pocket were it dropped.  I then sank my
remaining ball and the 8 to tie the match and send it to the hill
game.  In the final game, Gaylen got out to the early lead, but I shot
my way back into it.  After missing a shot, I left Gaylen with a
makeable runout, but luckily for me, he missed too, afterwhich I was
able to runout and sink the 8, to win the game and match, 2:1.

Tami played next against Jason (Boggs) in another 2:2 matchup.  The
first game was pretty even, with Jason eventually sinking the 8 first.
In the second game, Jason got off to the better start.  With only 2
balls left on the table, he didn't have a sinkable shot so instead
played a good, defensive safety leaving Tami trapped behind one of his
balls.  Fortunately, Tami was able to bank out of it and make a legal
hit on one of her balls, leaving Jason with no easy, sinkable shot.
On her next few turns at the table, Tami progressively sank her
remaining balls while leaving Jason with no easy shots whenever she
missed, eventually getting to the 8.  She wasn't able to sink it
unfortunately, and with no more of her balls left on table, she left
Jason with a clear but deceivingly sharp cut on his remaining ball.
Jason tried the cut but missed his ball completely, giving Tami
ball-in-hand on the 8, which she sank to win the 2nd game.  At that
point, I had to leave, so I missed the 3rd and final game.