[POOL] tonite's results

John Valdes valdes at anl.gov
Wed Oct 2 01:56:41 CDT 2013

We played Dean Bass's team, Bass Ackward.

I went first against Dave Stevens in a 2:2 match-up.  We were pretty
evenly matched.  I got to the 8 first in the first two games, but
unfortunately my aim is still a bit off after the long summer hiatus,
and I failed to sink it before Dave did.  I went down 0:2.

Martino Henderson from MCS joined team Moe today and played the second
match against Fred Frus in another 2:2.  Martino hasn't played
regularly in a number of years, but he wasn't too rusty.  After losing
the first game, Martino won the second to send the match to the hill
game.  Both Fred and Martino struggled a little at the start of the
final game, neither wanting to commit to sinking a solid or stripe,
but eventually Martino claimed a suit and made it first to the 8.
Shooting for his first match win, unfortunately Martino missed the 8
and gave up ball-in-hand to Fred, who then sank the 8, handing Martino
a match loss, 1:2.

Az went next against Jill Case in another even matchup, a 3:3 this
time.  While waiting for Az, Jill had played a makeup match and was
well warmed up, jumping out to a quick, 2 game lead over Az.  After
the 2nd game, Az was warmed up and rallied to take the next 2 games.
In the final game, Az got to the 8 first but missed.  Fortunately,
after sinking her remaining balls, Jill missed on the 8, giving Az
another shot.  Az call a side pocket, banked the 8, and sank it--but
unfortunately in the wrong side pocket, after it took an extra bank,
giving the game and match to Jill, 2:3.

We didn't have a 4th player, so our 4th match is to be made up in a
future week.  So after 3 closely played matches, we didn't manage any
wins for our efforts.

Since there was still time left for the night, Martino played a makeup
match against Rich Martello from Retarded Monkeys that we had
originally forfeited the first week.  Their matchup was 2:4.  Rich was
shooting well and didn't give Martino much time at the table.  Having
used up his reserve of shots in his previous match, Martino wasn't
able to pull out a win and went down, 0:4.  So results were the same
as if we had taken the forfeit, but at least Martino got some more
experience with match play.  With that match, and with Paul Hovland's
win last week against Ken Krajniak, we've managed to play all our
matches against Retarded Monkeys, winning 3 and losing 1.

We still have 2 matches to make up from last week against Les's team,
Get More with Les (in the two matches we did play, I lost to Fred
Gutierrez, and Tami lost to Bob Beckstrom) in addition to the match to
be made up from today.

Next week we play Melanie Matejko's team, Nice Rack.