[POOL] Last Week's Results

John Valdes valdes at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Apr 24 19:01:53 CDT 2013

Last week we played Nice Rack, Melanie's team.

I went first against Ron in a 2:4.  My aim was dead on, and I
took Ron down in 14 minutes, winning my match 2:0.

Paul H played second against Melanie in a 3:2.  Paul was uneasy about
being on the high side of the match up, and was even more so after
Melanie took the first game.  Nevertheless, Paul kept his focus and
was able to win the next 3 games to win the match, 3:1.

While Paul H was playing, Paul R played our last remaining make-up
match, against Dick from Bob Daun's team, a 1:5.  Dick was tough, but
Paul put the pressure on, getting to the 8 in a couple of games.
Unfortunately, he wasn't able to secure a win, so he went down, 0:5.

After playing Dick, Paul took on Gene the Machine in the third match
of the night, a 3:2.  Like Paul H, Paul R wasn't used to being on the
high side of the matchup, but he nonetheless won the first 2 games.
Unfortunately at that point, Paul had used up all his shot making
ability for the night, as the match turned into a war of attrition.
1.5 hours later, Gene finally ended up the victor, beating Paul 2:2.

Roger played fourth against Brian in a 2:4.  Brian was on, making some
hard shots to take the first two games.  Roger fought back though, and
made some hard shots of his own to win the third game.  Brian won the
next game to take the match to the hill, when Roger put on the
pressure, keeping Brian at bay while steadily sinking his balls.
After a hard fought, draining battle, Roger finally got to the 8 and
sank it for the victory, 2:3.

The final, fifth match was Az against Amanda ina 3:2.  Az lost the
first game, but warmed up in the process.  With no more games to give,
he settled down and took the next 3 without too much difficulty,
winning his match 3:1.

So we won 4, lost 1 against Nice Rack, and lost 1 for our final
makeup.  Those 4 wins put us into 4th place.