[POOL] Game On!

John Valdes valdes at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Oct 3 11:32:42 CDT 2012

> By the rules thy were entitled to two forfeits.

Actually, according the printed/pdf copy of the rules (which may or
may not be up to date,
https://blogs.anl.gov/billiards/files/2011/08/APL_Rules.pdf) they
could claim all 5 matches if they wanted (§3.12 Foreits, Late Start):

  Late Start. Match play should begin promptly at 6 pm. A team match
  will result in a forfeit if the first match has not started by 6:15
  pm. If a team shows up later, it is entirely up to the
  non-forfeiting team to: take all 5 points (for a night forfeit), or
  take 1 point (for a match forfeit due to tardiness), or to go ahead
  and play all 5 matches for the night.

The next sentence goes on to say:

  [...] there should be some leniency. You joined to play pool, not to
  receive forfeits.

Most teams opt for the last option, go ahead and play all 5 matches.

> They had a fifth player, but I think didn't want to have to stay that late.

He could have played earlier, or started a match on the practice table
or rescheduled.  Like the sentence above says, he joined to play
pool.  The forfeit was called at 9:00 PM (or at least that's when the
email about it went out), but there were still 2 hrs left for the
night ("official" hours for play are 6:00 PM - 11:00 PM); we could
make an argument that their 5th refused to play:

  Opponent Refuses to Play. If the opposing team’s last player is
  present but (for whatever reason) they do not wish to shoot, and
  your team’s last player is also present and is willing to play -
  your team will receive a forfeit point.

The late start rule would probably take priority in this case, but if
we're going to start watching the clock, we could argue that each team
must have players available to play at any time during the hours of
play.

Anyway, despite the length of this email, it's just one loss, not a
big deal, just ... disappointing.  In the first week, we waited over
45 min for our opponent's (Retarded Monkeys) 5th to show up, and when
he did, we played; we didn't call a forfeit, and that was close to
10:00 PM, iirc.  The lesson I guess is that we need to have someone
present and ready to play at 6:00 PM each week.

How'd we do in the matches that were played?  I played Brian in the
first match in a 3:3 and won 3:1.  Roger was in a 2:2 against Cheryl
and won the first but lost the second by the time I had to leave.