[POOL] Last night's results

John Valdes valdes at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Jan 11 18:13:06 CST 2012

We played Mr mR, Bob Daun's team.  I didn't arrive 'til the 3rd match.

First up was Paul R against Dick in a 1:5.  Don't know how Paul shot,
but the match did go to the final game with Dick shooting on the 8,
which he sank, in the wrong pocket, giving the match to Paul, 1:4, and
Paul's second match win in a row!

Next was Paul H against Jeff in a 2:4.  Paul told me that both he and
Jeff quickly strung together 3-ball runs each in the opening game, but
then each refused to sink any more balls.  Apparently, Jeff did a
better job at it, as Paul was able to shut him out, winning the first
two games and the match, 2:0.

Craig played next against Red in a 2:6.  Craig was shooting well,
making some nice cuts.  Red played well too, though, winning the first
4 games before Craig got his 1st win in the 5th game.  Craig had a
good runout all setup in the next game, but on the 2nd to last ball
(or so), he made a last minute adjustment to his aim and missed his
shot.  Unforutnately, Red hunkered down, and didn't give Craig another
chance for a win.  Craig lost the match, 1:6.

I played 4th against Jim in a 3:7.  I was shooting well and stringing
together some good runs, which translated into my taking the match
handily, 3:2, despite my almost scratching on the 8 in the final game.

The last match was between Az and Bob, a 2:10.  Playing Bob is always
tough, but Az made a match of it.  Az was in most of the games and
even got to shoot on the 8 in a few of them, persisting until he
finally won the 9th game.  Az continued to play Bob well in the next
game, and was just about to take that game for the match, but he
missed a shot he normally would make, and then didn't get another
opportunity after that.  Bob won that game and the next, handing Az a
tough loss, 1:10.

So a good night for Moe, winning 3 of 5.  The 2 losses could very
easily have gone our way.

Next week we play Grab Your Stick (Kevin's team, I believe).