[POOL] Results so far

John Valdes valdes at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Feb 24 12:54:53 CST 2010

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 11:07:23PM -0600, Paul Hovland wrote:
> When I left (~9:15), we were up 2-0 on Bass Ackwards.  Brian R was in a
> tight battle against Bob in a 2:6 and Ti was about to start play against
> Dean in a 1:10.  John was slated to play Art when one of the other
> matches ended.

Working with clusters is apparently now affecting the way we play
pool, 'cause we ending up playing the last 3 matches in parallel.  :)
In order of our finishes:

I played Art in a 2:2.  Art and I are equally handicapped and play
very similarly, which means we know each other's strengths and
unfortunately weakness.  Alas for me, that means I lost 0:2, though
the games could have easily have gone my way.

Ti almost took Dean in the first game of their 1:10 battle, but Dean
came back strong, winning the 1st and effectively breaking and running
a few of the subsequent games.  Ti hung in though and made his shots
whenever he got the chance, and a big one came in game 9 when Dean
gave Ti ball-in-hand with Ti only having one (or was it two) object
balls left, which he promptly sunk, followed by the 8 for the win,
defeating Dean 1:8.

Finally in their match, Brian R and Bob were both struggling to make
shots, taking the match to the rubber game.  Brian had Bob on the
ropes though, shooting on the 8 while Bob still had most of his balls
on the table.  Brian had a nice but long, nearly straight in shot on
the 8 in the corner for the win, but as luck would have it, the 8 went
a bit wide and rebounded off the rail, rolling all the way back across
the table and dropping in the opposite corner pocket, giving the game
and match to Bob.  It was a tough loss for Brian, 1:6.

So with Brain T's and Paul's wins, we went 3 for 5 on the night.

Next week we play Retarded Monkeys.