[POOL] Fwd: Argonne Pool League PROPOSED CHANGES

Ti Leggett leggett at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Sep 5 09:42:42 CDT 2007

It seems all of the proposed changes are in favor of higher handicap
players (except for the 8-ball rules which seem un-biased). In fact,
I would say that if they were to implement 1, 2, and 3 that higher
handicap players would need to win even more games than they
currently do against lower handicaps, not less. It seems to me that
match length problems aren't from low/low handicap matches because
the number of matches is usually a 2-2, 3-2, or 3-3; or high/low
handicap matches even the 10-1 onese because usually the high
handicap person quickly finishes those games or loses quickly. The
problem is for mid/mid, mid/high, or high/high handicap matches
because these are usually at least a 5-3 and match, and players tend
to play more of the games, usually slowly because games are so close.
However I don't see a way that could address that problem without
screwing low handicap players.

If they want to adjust the number of matches, I'd just say first to 3
wins with some formula for distributing points based on how many
games a team wins. Like a team gets one point for each match win and
2 points for winning the night or something. I would hazard most
matches would end in 3-0 or 3-1 takes with far fewer resulting in
3-2. Meaning most teams would play 3 or 4 matches on average and for
those thad do play a 5th they can take the table of one of the teams
that finished in 3 or 4.

So to sum up my opinion, don't change the match rules, but change the
win rules.