[POOL] Ideas for winnings

Craig Stacey stace at mcs.anl.gov
Fri May 5 16:00:26 CDT 2006

My thoughts inline:

First up, given Ti's about-to-be-a-daddy-ness, anything we do should
be in the late summer so as to allow him (and possibly Amy) the
opportunity to get out and do something.

On May 3, 2006, at 3:00 PM, Roger Sersted wrote:
> Well, we've got $505 to spend.  Here are some ideas:
>
> 1.  Team dinner at a resturant.  My pick is "Wildfire Grill".  I've
> eaten there a couple times.

I like this.  I also like Wildfire.  I would also throw out Maggianos
as a possibility -- I hosted a party for my wife there a few years
back, and the dinner was reasonably priced, I thought.  And, given
the amount of money, I think we could/should open this up to SOs as
well.

> 2.  Cookout/party with food, beer and other refreshments.  As for
> main course, my vote is for a Standing Rib Roast.  Though beef
> tenderloin was also suggested, some people don't like medium rare
> beef.  You'll ruin the meat if you cook a tenderloin (or part of
> it) well done.

I'm okay with this, but the logistics are a factor.  Who will host
it?  If SOs are invited along, we need to have non-meat alternatives
as my wife doesn't eat any meat and Amy doesn't do anything but poultry.

> 3.  Get a block of tickets to a Kane County Cougars game and make
> it a party.
> Watching the Cougars is fun.  I've been to a couple games.

I'm not so into this option.

> 4.  Just split the winnings, add-up the total number of matches for
> the team and each person gets a proportionate amount.  This is the
> least fun and totally hoses the players who started late in the
> season.

I would suggest a modification of this.  The proportionate amount is
not based on matches played but the number of times the person
actually signed up and showed up.  Poor Bill was a regular, but
hardly got any matches.

> 5.  If there's money leftover from our party/event/whatever, I say
> we use it to pay for our practice table(s) this fall session.

A fine idea.  Or take the leftovers and apply #4 above.  Or take the
entire pot and do this.  I'm making it a point next year to play on
the league practice table more so that more money is put into the
league's pocket, and to get a better diversity of opponents.  I'd
encourage others to do the same.

> 6.  I would really like a CP-E Colda Air intake for my Mazda6.  It
> has an MAF compensator that yields an extra couple of ponies.
> Since this a $490 item.  I'll just consider it a Birthday (July 3)
> present from the team.  Thanks Guys.  :-)

Uh huh.  In that spirit, I'm getting a pool table in late June, and
it's estimated it will cost about $500 to get a pro out to get it
properly set up.

Of the ideas above, I'd rank my preferences as a dinner (with guest
if possible), splitting the winnings proportionately, cook-out,
practice table.

--
Craig