[hpc-announce] Call for Team Submissions: SYCL HackFest @ IWOCL 2024 (April 08, 2024)

Tim Lewis tl17424 at bristol.ac.uk
Tue Dec 19 03:40:59 CST 2023

SYCL HackFest @ IWOCL 2024

+ Monday April 8, 2024 - All Day
+ University of Chicago, USA
+ Sponsored by Intel and Codeplay Software
+ In collaboration with Argonne National Laboratory, Codeplay Software, Heidelberg University, The Khronos Group and Intel.

+ https://www.iwocl.org | @iwocl

IWOCL 2024 will be hosting a SYCL Hacking Festival on Monday April 8 for teams interested in spending a full day hacking with SYCL, the cross-platform abstraction layer that enables code for heterogeneous and offload processors to be written using modern ISO C++.  The HackFest provides a great opportunity for the community to get together and hack on projects that they feel they could progress within a single day. By hacking together teams will have the opportunity to discuss general code development, specific project issues, optimisation techniques, the latest SYCL features, and more. All participants will be supported by mentors that are world-leaders in SYCL development.

IWOCL is the pioneering workshop has been attracting an international audience of leading academic and industrial experts since 2013 and is the premier forum for the community to present, discuss and learn about applying OpenCL and SYCL to solve computationally-demanding problems across a wide range of application domains.

SYCL Implementations
Teams will be able to hack with the following implementations of SYCL:

+ DPC++
+ AdaptiveCpp.

Invitation
You are cordially invited to participate in the HackFest by submitting a project.  Projects will be reviewed by a committee consisting of 3-4 SYCL community members who will judge projects based on whether they align with the project themes and are practical to complete in the time available. We expect to be able to approve 5-8 projects.

Project Themes of Interest
Topics for 2024 include (but are not limited to):

+ SYCL Performance and Optimization
+ SYCL 2020 Features
+ CUDA to SYCL Porting
+ SYCL Benchmarking (Default project for teams who don't have their own project they can work on)

Important Dates
+ Deadline for submission:              Friday, February 2, 2024
+ Team approval notifications:          Friday, March 1, 2024
+ Event Date:                           Monday April 08, 2024

All deadlines end at 23:59 anywhere on earth.

Selection Criteria
Projects are selected based on the viability of what can be accomplished in the approximately 6 hours of time given to work on the project. Projects should clearly state their purpose and the expected results.  Projects should document what kind of computing resources will be required and we will find the best fit from what is available. The available computing resources will be provided ahead of time, and we hope to make multiple clusters available for attendees with GPUs from multiple vendors. In addition, each project should document the kind of expertise that would be helpful. (e.g. experts from a specific discipline, Intel Developer Cloud support, DPC++ or AdaptiveCpp). We expect approximately 5-8 projects to be accepted depending on the number of participants and projects submitted.

How to Submit
For additional submission information and to submit, visit: https://www.iwocl.org/iwocl-2024/sycl-hackfest/

HackFest FREE Registration and IWOCL
+ Attendance at the HackFest itself on Monday April 8, 2024 is FREE, subject to team size and space limitations.
+ HackFest participants will be required to register through the normal IWOCL registration process using a special code to register for free HackFest attendance.
+ HackFest participants who also wish to attend the main IWOCL conference and/or IWOCL SYCL tutorial will need to register for these at the prevailing rates.

Workshop Chairs
See: https://www.iwocl.org/about-iwocl/committees/

We look forward to your contributions. Thank you very much.

Best Regards.

The IWOCL Team