[AG-TECH] Open Mash still in process?

Robert Olson olson at mcs.anl.gov
Tue May 27 20:08:46 CDT 2003

> i'm a little confused: looking at ag-vic from the anonymous
> cvs repository at ag-cvs.mcs.anl.gov, it doesn't use the
> ucl common library for the rtp stack or for encryption
> either.  it does use libcommon for the mbus but the
> networking, encryption, and rtp code used by ag-vic are all
> in ag-vic/vic/{rtp,net}.

Right.

> although the ucl common library does have support for des,
> it has no support for Rijndael.

Late-model common should; I added that support to enable AES for rat, and
I believe the mods made it into the UCL CVS tree.

> it would be pretty easy to port the crypt-rijndael.cpp file
> from ag-vic to mash if the ag community would find that
> useful.

Yup, I think it definitely would. I agree about it being pretty easy; the
port of the code from DES to Rijndael was pretty straightforward (most of
the time spent debugging boneheaded cut and paste errors).

BTW, I'd be interested in folks who understand encryption fiddly details
more deeply than I do to have a pass over the code to ensure there isn't
anything boneheaded securitywise in there.

--bob