[AG-TECH] Open Mash still in process?

Andrew Swan aswan at cs.berkeley.edu
Tue May 27 18:27:28 CDT 2003

Ivan R. Judson wrote:
> Since OpenMash isn't using UCL's lib common for security or the RTP stack
> rijndael isn't available. There are obviously two directions this could go,
> copy the implementation from common to OpenMash, or (the one I'd like to
> see) is move OpenMash to use lib common for RTP, Security, and expose the
> Mbus stuff.

i'm a little confused: looking at ag-vic from the anonymous
cvs repository at ag-cvs.mcs.anl.gov, it doesn't use the
ucl common library for the rtp stack or for encryption
either.  it does use libcommon for the mbus but the
networking, encryption, and rtp code used by ag-vic are all
in ag-vic/vic/{rtp,net}.

although the ucl common library does have support for des,
it has no support for Rijndael.  in agvic, the des support
is provided via the code in ag-vic/vic/net/crypt-des.cpp,
not through the ucl common library.

it would be pretty easy to port the crypt-rijndael.cpp file
from ag-vic to mash if the ag community would find that
useful.  as for your comment about porting mash to use
libcommon, is there a reason other than improving the
mbus support in mash?  libcommon and mash have really
different design philosophies that would make such a port
difficult...

-Andrew