[AG-TECH] The view from 16517 (fwd)

Bob Olson olson at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Apr 9 21:40:14 CDT 2001

FYI, interesting stuff.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2001 22:08:42 -0400
From: Marshall Eubanks <tme at 21rst-century.com>
     mbone mail list <mbone at ISI.EDU>, MboneD Mail List <mboned at ns.uoregon.edu>,
     Diederik van Diggelen <diggelen at infonet-europe.net>,
     Tech team <tech at multicasttech.com>
Subject: The view from 16517

Hello;

I have set up two web pages describing the status of the Multicast
enabled Internet as seen from AS 16517 (i.e., multicasttech.com). A
summary is available from

http://www.multicasttech.com/status/status.html

and the same information (but with more text, and intended for newcomers to
multicast) is available from

http://www.multicasttech.com/status/status.html

By popular request, this page includes a link to a list of autonomous
systems with multicast connectivity to AS 16517 :

http://www.multicasttech.com/status/mbgp.sum

This and all other information is updated at least 4 times daily.

Comments, etc. are welcomed. Please feel free to link to this site; if there are other similar
monitoring efforts out there, please let me know and I'll link to them.

BTW, this effort enabled us to almost immediately detect the loss of multicast connectivity
to Canarie on Friday, caused by a line break to StarTap. This problem was repaired late Saturday
night.

                                   Regards
                                   Marshall Eubanks

P.S. Our MBGP tables continually show evidence for AS leakage :

 AS  64580  IANA-RSVD2                      :    9 prefixes :    9 prefixes supported :   5 hops : as path  1239  5511  2200  2074 64580
 AS  65001  IANA-RSVD2                      :    1 prefixes :    1 prefixes supported :   4 hops : as path  3300  8933  2200 65001
 AS  65498  IANA-RSVD2                      :    1 prefixes :    1 prefixes supported :   4 hops : as path  1239  1800   209 65498
 AS  65534  IANA-RSVD2                      :    1 prefixes :    1 prefixes supported :   3 hops : as path   145    24 65534

   Multicast Technologies, Inc.
   10301 Democracy Lane, Suite 410
   Fairfax, Virginia 22030
   Phone : 703-293-9624          Fax     : 703-293-9609
   e-mail : tme at on-the-i.com     http://www.on-the-i.com

 Test your network for multicast : http://www.multicasttech.com/mt/