[AG-DEV] Parallelize some of the functions of the Start-Up for the Venue Client

Christoph Willing willing at vislab.uq.edu.au
Tue Sep 5 01:54:05 CDT 2006

On 04/09/2006, at 3:45 PM, Rhys Hawkins wrote:

[snip]
> I've commented out line 125 in AccessGrid/Registry/
> RegistryClient.py, ie:
>     #self.bridges = self._sortBridges(maxToReturn)
> I don't know whether this will help your colleague or not. It
> certainly
> makes things quicker for me. If you're just testing a local bridge
> then
> you could just stick you local bridge description in the beginning
> of the
> list to fake the sort. Although this is just hacking for testing
> purposes
> and doesn't solve the actual problem.

I was doing something similar (VenueClient.py at line 199, comment
out self.__LoadBridges()), which is fine if you don't need bridges.
Today I needed to connect to a site whose only visibility was through
a bridge they were running, so I had to reinstate them, but block the
baddies. I now have a list of offending bridges inserted at the
beginning of the PingBridgeService() definition (line 63) in
RegistryClient.py. These sites are skipped as follows:

def PingBridgeService(self, bridgeProxy):
     banned = ['some.site', 'another.site']
     for b in banned:
         if bridgeProxy._ServerProxy__host.startswith(b):
         return -1
     self.log.info('PingBridgeService: trying %s' %
bridgeProxy._ServerProxy__host)
     etc. as before

The extra logging line shows progress through the bridges a bit
better and identifies new baddies.

Of course its cumbersome to edit RegistryClient.py everytime a new
baddy is detected (there have been a few recently), but I generally
have a fast start up now, as well as having access to "good" bridges.
Maybe a separate configuration file containing the baddies would be
better; the VenueClient could consult it at startup before processing
the bridge list.

chris

Christoph Willing                       +61 7 3365 8350
QCiF/QPSF Access Grid Manager
University of Queensland