[Swift-user] Swift parallel scripting language questions

Janovics, Peter W pwj3 at txstate.edu
Fri Sep 26 13:18:22 CDT 2014

Dear Swift development team,

My name is Peter Janovics, and I am a researcher in Dr. Burtscher’s lab at Texas State University. For the past month I have been learning the Swift programming language because it supports parallel execution and can execute other applications that are parallel. I have several questions and encountered some difficulties that you may want to be made aware of.

I noticed that the “Try Swift online” application on your webpage does not work and now appears to be offline. Is there a timeframe for when it will be back online and working?

Is an updated version of the tutorial available that requires a slightly lower learning curve and/or includes more examples with explanations? I have been trying to piece together information but feel that there is a gap between the tutorial, which is based on an older version of Swift, and the documentation, which explains some of the new keywords but does not give enough complete examples with descriptions.

Are there any examples of executing simple Linux commands using Swift? The documentation mentions having applications appended to a file. Does this mean that any command that I would like to execute in Swift needs to be included in this file, including shell commands?

There is a section that explains how to use Swift with MPI, but the files shown do not seem complete. Moreover, I would like to execute MPI code on a supercomputer in a batch environment. Are there any instructions on how to use Swift in such an environment? Also, what is the required folder structure to ensure that Swift will find the files needed to execute MPI code?

Thank you for your time,
Peter Janovics