[Swift-user] Resuming jobs when script has changed

Mihael Hategan hategan at mcs.anl.gov
Mon May 19 16:43:39 CDT 2014

On Mon, 2014-05-19 at 19:06 +0000, Bronevetsky, Greg wrote:

> -          I need to explicitly copy the files that already exist from my working directory to temporary directory used by Swift to enable Swift to recognize these files' existence. Then Swift copies them back to their original locations, which is wasteful but at least correct.
> If anybody can suggest alternatives that overcome the above issues, I'd be grateful. I expect that mine is a common use-case because without this every small change to a script causes all of its intermediate results to be recomputed, even if the script is large and takes days to compute.

If you are using swift > 0.94, you could use the built-in exists()
function I mentioned in my previous email.

If not, you can make sure that the fileExists app only runs locally (by
only having it for localhost in the sites file). Then, you can pass the
working directory as a string to it and modify it to use that directory
and the file whose existence you are trying to determine to build an
absolute path. That would not require any copying.

Mihael