[Swift-user] help with swift scrip

Ketan Maheshwari ketan at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Aug 29 08:51:55 CDT 2014

Hi Shahram,

CC'ing swift-user mailing list, please feel free to subscribe to this
mailing list and post for greater visibility and quicker response:
http://swift-lang.org/support/index.php

Please see my answers inline below:

On Thu, Aug 28, 2014 at 5:40 PM, Shahram Mohrehkesh <smohrehk at cs.odu.edu>
wrote:

>   Hi Dr. Ketan,
>
>  I just started using Swift for a project to run some image processing
> operations on brain images.
>
>  I can run swift successfully on my local system. Next, I followed the
> tutorial on the swift website for clusters. However, I cannot run the
> swift  for running an application with swift on the cluster. I usually get
> error "Job failed with an exit code of 127". I guess my main problem is
> with my setting in site.xml file.
>

>From your description, I understand this is a bag of workstations cluster.
The exit code 127 seems most likely because Swift is unable to locate the
executable. If you are using a tc.data file, make sure that the executable
you point to in the third column of this file exists and is executable on
the cluster. Having said this, could you indicate the Swift version you are
using and the logs.

> 1. Is the coaster the appropriate type for site setting to run on a
> cluster? If so, what are the values of parameters?  What are the mandatory
> parameters?

Yes, coasters are well suited to run on a cluster. The parameters will
depend upon the type of cluster you are on: if the nodes are behind a
resource manager (eg. PBS, SLURM etc.) or not. Most parameters have default
values but I suppose the execution and filesystem providers, handle name,
and workdirectory location are mandatory (others on swift-user may correct
me). Please see typical sites files attached. Also see this guide to know
more about sites file config and examples (probably you already saw it):
http://swift-lang.org/guides/trunk/siteguide/siteguide.html

>   2. I saw your "Evaluating Cloud Computing for Smart Power Grid Design
> Using Parallel Scripting". My cluster is very similar to yours and I am
> planning to run my program later on Amazon cloud. So, if you could provide
> me your sites.xml file, I would highly appreciate it?

Sites files will differ slightly based on your configuration but find the
one we used attached if it helps. Also, we have some tutorials developed
for running in Amazon cloud, see this:
https://github.com/yadudoc/swift-on-cloud/tree/master/aws

>  3. Beside the site.xml, is there any other setting that I should change?

There is some one time configuration that needs to be set. It will depend
upon the Swift version you are using and the nature of your environment.

>  Regards,
> Shahram
>  --
>

> Shahram Mohrehkesh