[Swift-user] What system calls do the mappers use?

Mihael Hategan hategan at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Mar 20 15:55:34 CDT 2013

On Wed, 2013-03-20 at 15:41 -0500, Michael Wilde wrote:
> Also, to answer your question more directly: "I dont know".  You can try to answer this by writing some very simple swift scripts that do the kinds of built-in mappings you are looking at, and use strace() wuth suitable filtering and grepping do see what Swift (via Java) is doing to implement the mapping.
>
> Mihael may be able to point you to the Java classes that do the mapping to distill this process further.

If it's input data, I'm afraid it makes calls to cog to list files, and
that involves building an object with all kinds of file information. If
it's output data, it should not do that.

It might be worth timing this to see the actual difference, and then it
might be worth "fixing" the problem if it exists.

Mihael