[Swift-user] Advice on mapping input arguments

Michael Wilde wilde at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Jun 10 22:58:55 CDT 2013

Hi TJ,

Here's a quick initial thought. There might be better ways to do this.

The problem as you mention is that there is currently no mapper or function that lets you easily handle a mixture of scalars and files in a struct.  I think that readData and/or mappers should/could handle this, but Ive been outvoted in past discussions of this.

So for now, assuming you have more scalar params than file params, you can just leave the filenames as strings in the parameter struct, then map the smaller number of files from these strings, and call your app() using the param struct to pass all the scalar params, and pass the mapped files as additional input and output parameters.

This retains, I think, the benefit of having a parameter file that provides a handy record of the run's parameters.

Here's an initial example that I *think* is in the spirit of the longer one you supplied below.

If this sounds like a reasonable approach I think we can use the same technique to run your example.

I provide I think all the files you need to test this.

I'll look more carefully at your example now to see if this is indeed what you're trying to do.

- Mike

mid$ cat params.txt
p1 p2 fn1    fn2    ofn
86 99 f1.dat f2.dat row1.out
87 98 f3.dat f4.dat row2.out

mid$ cat structs.swift

type file;

type params {
  int p1;
  int p2;
  string fn1;
  string fn2;
  string ofn;
};

app (file out) echo (params p, file f1, file f2)
{
  echo stdout=@out "params:" p.p1 p.p2 "files:" @f1 @f2;
}

params plist[] = readData("params.txt");

foreach p, i in plist {
  file f1 <single_file_mapper; file=p.fn1>;
  file f2 <single_file_mapper; file=p.fn2>;
  file of <single_file_mapper; file=p.ofn>;
  of = echo(p,f1,f2);
}

mid$ cat ~/.swift/swift.properties

sites.file=sites.xml
tc.file=apps

status.mode=provider
use.provider.staging=false
use.wrapper.staging=false
wrapperlog.always.transfer=true
execution.retries=0
lazy.errors=false
provider.staging.pin.swiftfiles=false
sitedir.keep=true
file.gc.enabled=false
#tcp.port.range=50000,51000

mid$ cat apps
localhost echo echo

mid$ cat sites.xml
<config>
  <pool handle="localhost">
    <execution provider="local"/>
    <filesystem provider="local"/>
    <workdirectory>/scratch/midway/{env.USER}/swiftwork</workdirectory>
  </pool>
</config>

mid$ ls -l f?.dat
-rw-rw-r-- 1 wilde wilde 4 Jun 10 22:40 f1.dat
-rw-rw-r-- 1 wilde wilde 4 Jun 10 22:40 f2.dat
-rw-rw-r-- 1 wilde wilde 4 Jun 10 22:40 f3.dat
-rw-rw-r-- 1 wilde wilde 4 Jun 10 22:40 f4.dat

mid$ swift structs.swift
Swift 0.94 swift-r6414 (swift modified locally) cog-r3648

RunID: 20130611-0343-so454ho1
Progress:  time: Tue, 11 Jun 2013 03:43:56 +0000
Final status: Tue, 11 Jun 2013 03:43:56 +0000  Finished successfully:2

mid$ more row?.out
row1.out
params: 86 99 files: f1.dat f2.dat
row2.out